Friday, December 19, 2008

Rats

It's Christmas time already and I've only just begun my shopping. Every year we go overboard with gifts. We buy big expensive things and try to make sure everybody has what they want and more. I don't want to do that this year. I really don't. First of all, our combined income is the lowest it's been in 7 years. Secondly, there's nothing that any of us really NEED.

I turned on the TV yesterday and there on the screen was Alex Trebek speaking for World Vision. He introduced me to an 8 year old African orphan. This young boy went out into the field and found a rats nest. He pulled out about 5 or 6 small rats, killed them and brought them home for his sisters to cook for dinner.

I've known 8 year olds who don't even know their way home from school. Young kids who are right now praying that Santa will bring them the newest xbox game. I can't imagine these kids providing for a family. I can't imagine myself doing what that young boy does every day.

I did not call to sponsor a child. I wish with all my heart that I could.

I don't want any Christmas presents this year. If I wake up on Christmas morning and find no boxes wrapped with my name on them - I am good. I know my family loves me. I live in a warm house. I eat good food every day (several times a day). I have been so very blessed. I'm looking for a way to give back. I have had this desire in my heart for quite a while now to do something for those less fortunate than myself. All I want for Christmas this year is to figure out what I can do to help others in need. And to turn these mushy feelings and nice words into action.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hope you have a wonderful Christmas. And that you figure out a way to give back in a way that matters to you.